10 Things you need to know about The Community School:
1. The Community School welcomes a diverse student body – shy or outgoing; openly creative or yet to develop your talents; have difficulty learning or not feeling challenged; all races and religions; learn best one-on-one or in a group; gay or straight; from the surrounding neighborhood or not, have had academic success in the past or hoping to find it here.
2. We are interested in motivated students who really want to learn and grow and make something of themselves. We only accept students who are committed to developing good personal habits including being drug and alcohol free and our 5 habits for success
3. We are a private high school certified by the Maryland State Department of Education and not part of the Baltimore City Public Schools.
4. The Community School is designed as an accelerated high school where it is possible for students to earn a high school diploma in 3 years.
5. We are a rigorous school where students work hard in a safe, comfortable environment.
6. There is a tuition of $25 per week and a one time $50 book deposit. We provide all of your school supplies.
7. The Community School is a small school with an average of 10 students per class and a student body limited to 30 students.
8. We help students get into college or trade school and provide ongoing assistance once there. We also help our students with job readiness and help to find each student a job.
9. The Community School is firmly committed to our students’ well being and their academic and personal growth.
10. Any individual who has passed 8th grade and is no older than 17 is open to apply.
The Community School accepts and seeks out a diverse student body from any race, creed, ethnicity, sexual orientation, color or neighborhood.
Here are the Steps for becoming a student at the Community School:
1. Fill out application and return it to the school.
2. Application is reviewed to make sure it fits our guidelines, then you are contacted to set up an interview.
3 You have a one-on-one interview with the teacher.
4. You are notified of your status: accepted, on waiting list, or not accepted.
5. If you are accepted, a second interview is held with you and two adult sponsors of your choosing, including a parent or guardian.
6. You and your parent/guardian must complete all applicable admissions forms and submit the first tuition payment and a book deposit.
7. You are ready to start school!
* We are very open to setting up a “shadow” morning for a prospective student who would like to get a first hand experience before making a decision to apply
“I feel as though I am where I need to be, I am on the track to pursuing my dreams. I know that I would not feel this way at any other school. This is where I belong.” –Kelsey Larrimore
“The Community School is really what I expected – a school for people that want to learn and want to have a really happy life where they can be happy.” –Vernon Laumann
“The Community School is exactly what I expected, but it is even greater than I thought it would be. I heard how good of a high school TCS is, but I didn’t realize it would help me this much.” –Gary Cooper
“I believe that The Community School will help me reach all of my goals. My goal is to be one of the first people in my family to graduate from high school, and be the first to actually go to college and graduate.” –Sadie Greenwood
“I knew all along this school was about hard work and success. if I wasn’t here in this right now, I would probably be a high school drop out by now. That is why I’m thankful for this school everyday.” –Michael Poe
“My dream and goal is to to go to UCLA and become an astrochemist. I know it is a huge long shot, but I have enough determination, commitment, hope, and luck to get there. My progress in The Community School will help me get where I need to be.” –Dyrrell Moon
“From the minute I walked through these doors, i have never been turned down for help. I am so happy to say that you get all the help here that you really desire.” –Natasha Martin IV
“While attending TCS, I can get a first class education while being surrounded by great students and teachers. I have been blessed with the opportunity to attend TCS.” –Chris White
“You will not find another teacher that is willing to help you with everything like Mr. Tom. When I get done at TCS high school, I want to got to college and after college go on to become a registered nurse. I feel like I’m on track now. I am not the person I was when i first walked in.” –Daj’a White